Saturday, June 28, 2014

Elephant Rock 2014

On June 1, I decided to recover from the City Park Crit by riding in the annual Elephant Rock Ride down in Douglas County.  If you remember from last year, I was scheduled to do the 62-mile ride with a bunch of people from work, but had broken my arm about 3 weeks before.  Since I was still recovering, I wasn't able to do a big ride, so did the 8-mile family ride with my wife and kids instead.    This year, I was in good health, and was looking forward to doing the 62-mile route.

Last year, this was a big event with my office, and we had about 15 people participate.  We have put a lot more effort into our "Davis Active" activities this year, and anticipated another big turnout.  But we only had a few people this year.  I think there were a few reasons:  1) It's expensive.  2) The mountain-bike route isn't very exciting.  Just a dirt road.

We tried to entice employees with an after-ride party at someone's house nearby, but that didn't work either.  So, we only had about 5 or 6 people show up, and not everyone showed up for the party afterwards.  Pretty disappointing.

The ride is nice, though.  It's a beautiful area down there.  Lots of rolling hills and expansive views.  I spent the day riding with Keith, another architect from my office.

Keith, with Pikes Peak in the background.


I had a good time.  It was a nice break from my usual races.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!