Sunday, January 26, 2014

A much-deserved rest day

Rest day today!
Today was a rest day, and I really appreciated it.  My schedule got a little mixed up last week, and I ended up with too many hard days in a row.  Yesterday's team ride wasn't too difficult, but I was pretty beat from a number of hard days.  I was supposed to have a rest day yesterday to recover, and then a long, hard day today.  Instead, I made today the rest day.

Today was supposed to be Spinervals 26.0, a 3-disc 100-mile indoor training ride which takes about 5 1/2 hours.  I've done it once, last summer after breaking my arm.  It sucked, and I have no desire to ever do it again.  It's a really miserable way to spend a day.  I'm also glad I didn't decide to try a century ride outside today.  It was getting a little colder, and very windy.  That would have been miserable.

Although yesterday's team ride was only about half the distance I was supposed to do for my training plan, I think I actually got a lot out of it, and don't regret it at all.  Being outside with the team on a beautiful day is way more fun that riding my training for half the day.

Lifetime Fitness
I went to Lifetime Fitness today, and thought I might get some lap swimming in.  Even though today is a rest day, I figured swimming is so unrelated to cycling that my "bike muscles" would still be resting, and I could burn some calories.  I helped my wife with her strength workout for about 45 minutes while the kids were playing in the kids area.  Then, we got the kids and went to the pool.  My wife was going to sit on the edge of the pool and watch the kids while I did laps in the lap pool.  I managed to get in 6 laps before my daughter came over and said they were testing all the kids in the pool, and if you couldn't pass the swim test, a parent had to be in the pool with you.  She passed the test, and they gave her a wristband.  My son, though, didn't pass, and so needed someone in the pool with him.  I'm not sure he's been swimming since last summer, and he must have forgotten some stuff.  So, I hung out in the pool with him for about a 1/2-hour, and then we packed up and left.  So, I didn't really get in the workout I had hoped for.  Oh well.  Like I said, it was a rest day.

Food:
  • Breakfast:  Fruit / protein smoothie
  • Lunch:  Chipotle - steak salad.
  • Dinner:  Chicken paprikash, but by itself.  No noodles.  First time we ever made it.  Pretty tasty.  I think I've only had paprikash once before, at a Hungarian place in Barberton, OH.  That was probably 20 years ago.  Not sure how this compared, but it was yummy.  And the kids loved it, which is really surprising.

Exercise:
  • 6 laps in the pool.  Barely worth mentioning.

Today's weigh-in:  190.4
I kind of expected it might go up a bit with my rest day.  Back into it tomorrow, with some running and a bike workout.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!