Monday, February 10, 2014

Last week of this training session

So, this is the last week of this 6-week training program.  I have a few more workouts this week, and this session is supposed to end with an indoor century on Saturday.  Or an outdoor century if the weather is nice.  Spinervals has a video, Spinervals 26.0, that is supposed to be an indoor century.  It is actually three videos, which add up to about 5 1/2 hours of riding.  Inside.  Yuck.

I did that video last summer when I broke my arm and couldn't ride outside, but still needed to train.  After I was done, I promised I would never do it again.  What a massive waste of time.  I have so many better things to do than to ride my bike in my basement for almost 6 hours.

Fortunately, I'm going to miss the last couple days of this session as I head out to do some skiing instead.  That should be some good exercise without being stuck on the bike.

I'm not sure if Coach Troy has another 6-week training program set up, but I'm pretty sure he does.  I'm just not sure I'll be able to do it.  After this weekend, I have one week off before my first race of the season.  And after that, I might be racing almost every weekend for the next few months.  Coach Troy's training program is more geared toward longer endurance events, like Ironman Triathlons and stuff, and not for shorter races like criteriums.  For that, I'll need to be working more on explosive power and sprints, and less on endurance.  Especially as a Cat 5 racer, since my races are shorter than the higher categories.

So once this session is over, I need to come up with a new program to take me through race season.  I'm not exactly sure what that will be yet, but it will probably be something like this:
  • Race on Saturday or Sunday, or both.
  • Recovery ride on Monday
  • Aerobic base or recovery on Tuesday.  Or maybe a rest day
  • Hard intervals on Wednesdays
  • Rest or recovery on Thursday
  • Easy aerobic or recovery ride on Friday
  • Then back to racing again
 At least, that's about what I'm looking at right now.  I'm still trying to get it figured out.  I'll probably still be throwing some weight and run workouts in the mix, too, just to keep my general fitness up.

For now, though, I'll finish up the next few days of this session.  Then I can worry about race training.

Food:
  • Breakfast:  Fruit / protein smoothie
  • Lunch:  I screwed up.  Broke down and went and grabbed a cheesesteak. 
  • Dinner:  Italian sausage, with peppers and onions

Exercise:
  • 45 minutes on the elliptical when I woke up.  4.4 miles.
  • 1 hour on the trainer.  Spinervals 28.0 - Aero Base Builder VI



Today's weigh-in:  187.2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!