Saturday, March 15, 2014

2014 Oredigger Classic - Lookout Mountain Hill Climb - Time Trial

The beginning of the race season typically opens with the various Colorado university events.  Last week was supposed to be the University of Denver Criterium, but it was canceled due to weather.  This weekend consisted of the Colorado School of Mines events, the Oredigger Classic.  It consists of tow races:  a time trial up Lookout Mountain, followed by a criterium on the School of Mines campus.  Today was the hill climb.

The standard Lookout Mountain course is known as "pillars to post", which starts at the large pillars at Beverly Heights Park in Golden, and rises 4.6 miles and over 1,200 feet to the finish line at the sign ("post") for Buffalo's Bill's grave at the top.

The Pillars, the start line for today's time trial.


When I arrived at the race this morning, it was cold and windy.  Around 40 degrees, and gusty winds at around 20 mph.  After getting myself signed in and picking up my number, I went back and sat in the car for a bit to keep warm.  I got myself changed, and got all my stuff together, then got out and hopped on the trainer for a bit.  With the cold temps, I definitely wanted to get the legs warmed up.  I probably rode the trainer for about 30-40 minutes at a pretty high cadence.  During the warmup, I also munched on a Clif Bar and a banana.  Once it was time to go, I packed everything back up, hit the head one more time, and made my way to the start line with a few minutes to spare.

I'm not going to recount the entire ride.  That would be pretty boring.  It's 4.6 miles, all uphill.  It was cold.  The wind sucked.  I passed a few people, and a few people passed me.  So, I know I didn't come in first, and I didn't come in last.

A cold day on Lookout Mountain.


I managed to get in a good sprint at the top, turned around, and took a leisurely ride back down.  Although the ride up was tough, the ride down was the real killer.  It was just really damn cold.  And because I was just coasting downhill and not working, I wasn't generating any heat.  It was just bitter, bitter cold.  I got to the bottom, rode straight to my car, and sat there warming up for a bit with the heat blasting.  I got changed, then went over to see the results.  I was disappointed to see a sign saying "Results will be available online".  So, no reason to stick around.  I got back in the car and drove home.

Now, I'm getting ready for tomorrow's crit.  My start time is at 1:30pm, which means I get to sleep in!

Food:
  • Breakfast:  Fruit / protein smoothie
  • Lunch:  Steak salad from Chipotle
  • Dinner:  I raced today, so maybe I deserve a break.  Big-ass burger from CB & Potts.

Exercise:
  • Oredigger Classic - Lookout Mountain Hill Climb
  • 45 minutes on the elliptical.  5.0 miles.


Today's weigh-in:  185.2
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!