Saturday, January 19, 2013

Day 19 - Lifetime day

So, today was our first day at Lifetime Fitness.  We stopped in and officially got our member numbers and stuff.  We dropped the kiddos off at the kids area, just in time for them to go do the sports program over in the gym.  Sounds like they played some dodgeball and tag.

Lisa and I went up to the cardio/fitness area.  I ran on an elliptical for 30 minutes, and she was on a treadmill for 45 minutes.  After that, I went down to the pool to swim some laps, while she hopped on a bike.  I've known how to swim for most of my life, but this is the first time I've actually swam for fitness instead of fun.  Playing Marco Polo and stuff, sure, but swimming laps?  That was new to me, and I had no idea how it was going to go.

I was worried that there might be a lot of people in the lap pool, and there were probably some rules of etiquette I needed to be aware of, so I did a little reading online last night.  I'm glad I did.  It turns out I knew nothing about lap swimming.  When I went down to the pool, there was a little placard with some rules, and they pretty much agreed with what I saw online last night.  Still, I'm glad I did the reading ahead of time, so I knew what to expect.  But I still had no idea if I was fast or slow, how far I could go, or even if I could manage to swim in a straight line.  Fortunately, when I got to the pool, there were five lanes and only 2 or 3 swimmers.  So, I had a lane to myself and could get my bearings without screwing up anyone else's workout.  All in all, it went pretty well.  I swam 5 laps, or 10 lengths of the 25-meter pool.  I have no idea if that's good or bad, but it's something to build on.  And it was a good workout without knee or ankle pain.

And to top it off, I even went for a 20-mile bike ride after lunch.  Nice to be outside instead of on the trainer.  I guess I did some sort of triathlon today, with the elliptical, swimming and bike ride.

Food:
  • Breakfast:  Fruit / protein smoothie
  • Lunch:  Protein bar
  • Dinner:  We went to a party this evening, and they had a big falafel barfrom a place called Garbanzo Mediterranean Grill.  I'm not sure what I had, but looking at their menu, I'd say it was some kind of chicken shwarma pita.

Exercise:
  • Lifetime Fitness:  30 minutes of intervals on an elliptical.  Added some arm and glute boosters to the elliptical program.
  • Lifetime Fitness:  5 laps in the lap pool, 250 meters.
  • Biked for about an hour, with a 20-mile loop near home that I like to do.  Strava page HERE.

Today's weigh-in:  211.4.  Sweet!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!