Saturday, May 11, 2013

Campfire night

Beautiful evening tonight, and the kids were begging for a campfire and s'mores.  My wife and I demolished our deck a few years ago, and installed a concrete paver patio.  Best thing we ever did to this house.  We love our patio.  It's so much more functional than our deck ever was.  And it's a great pot for a metal fire pit.  When the weather is nice, we like spending the evening out here with a crackling fire, listening to music and cooking marshmallows for s'mores.  Yum.

My wife had to work most of the day today, so I wasn't able to head out for a big ride, since I had to manage the kids.  I took them to their swim lessons at Lifetime thi morning.  It didn't go exactly as planned.  The past couple weeks, the lap pool was open and I was able to get a half hour of swimming in.  But today when we got there, the triathlon team had taken over the lap pool.  Fortunately, the swim lessons weren't using all the lane in the leisure pool, so I swam my laps there instead.  It's only and 18-yard pool instead of the 25-meter lap pool, but swimming is swimming, I suppose.

Once we got done swimming, we stopped on the way home for haircuts, and then lunch at Subway.  When we got home, we went out for a bike ride/run.  The kiddos rode their bikes, and I ran with them.  The City recently completed a trail extension that connected the bike trail behind the kids' school to another trail system on the other side of a busy road but taking the trail under the road.  We hadn't been across the road yet, so wanted to see where it went.  Made for a nice run/ride.

After than, my wife came home, so I headed out for an hour ride before we went out to dinner this evening.  Nice ride.  Sunny and warm, with just a couple sprinkles that passed quickly.

Oh, here's something annoying.  So, there's this Strava segment near my house, and I've only ever ridden it with the kids. So, I am always riding slow, or sometimes walking.  It's kind of a steel climb, so I sometimes have to walk next to the kids and push them.  Currently, I'm ranked 29th out of 29 on this climb.  This is killing me, and I want to ride once without the kids to move up in the ranking a bit.  On my ride yesterday, I was heading past, and was going to detour of my regular route to do this climb, but there was some construction equipment on the trail, so I had to skip it.  Today, I went past again, figuring the maintenance people would be gone, but no!  It looks like they are actually doing some construction on the trail, so there is all kind of construction fencing up, and I couldn't do the ride.  So, I'm stuck in last place until they finish their work.  Really annoying.

Food:
  • Breakfast:  Fruit / protein smoothie.  Used some watermelon this time, which was pretty good.  First time we've used watermelon in one of our smoothie.
  • Lunch:  6" spicy italian at Subway, with a bag of Fritos
  • Dinner:  thin-crust pizza at Old Chicago
  • No, I didn't have any s'mores.  I left those for the kids.

Exercise:
  • 756 yards in the pool.  Weird measurement today, since I was swimming laps in the 18-yard leisure pool instead of the 25-meter lap pool.  Oh well.  756 yards ends up being about the same as the 700 meters I have typically been swimming in the lap pool.
  • 3.6-mile run with the kids while they rode their bikes.  Different route than my previous runs, which was a nice change of pace.
  • 23-mile bike ride before dinner


 

Today's weigh-in: 182.0



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!