Saturday, May 18, 2013

So, I guess I'm running now

Can't write much today.  Typing with one hand is a hassle.

Terrible night's sleep last night.  Just couldn't get comfortable.  Took some good painkillers this evening, so I hope I can sleep better tonight.

Although I broke my arm yesterday, I still got up this morning to run the Cottonwood Classic 5k with my 8-year-old daughter.  There was a special elementary school division, and her school was participating.  She was really looking forward to it, so we registered together, and we've been training together for the past few weeks.  So, I just couldn't bring myself to skip it.  We ran together, with my wife and son cheering us on.  Caitlin did great, getting her personal best times for pretty much all distance segments -- 1/2 mile, 1k, 1-mile, 2-mile, etc.  She even looked up at me during the race and said, "This is fun, dad!"  She's awesome.

Approaching the finish.

We're awesome.  Yay, us!


After the race, it was off to the kids' swim lessons.  Usually, I like to swim laps during their lessons, but that's obviously not going to happen now.  Instead, I found some recumbent stationary bikes at Lifetime, and rode one for a while.

I'm realizing how many things I need two hands for.  Some things that proved difficult today:

  • Tying shoes, or really any kind of knot.
  • Putting on a belt
  • Shampoo.  Ended up just squirting the bottle on my head, and guessing how much was coming out.
  • Opening bottles of medicine.
  • Using the computer.  I'm not very good at left-handed mousing. 
  • Folding laundry.
  • And buttons.  Buttons are now the bane of my existence.
Oh, and finally, another great stage of the Amgen Tour of California today.  Lots of attacks on the climb of Mt. Diablo.  And Tejay is still on top, ready to win the first stage race of his career tomorrow.  Can't wait to see him in Colorado in a few months.

Tejay, at the final stage of last year's USA Pro Challenge.



Food:
  • Breakfast:  Special K.  We ran out of smoothie fixins.
  • Lunch:  Wendy's chicken caesar salad.  We had a lot of errands to run today, to get ready for my son's birthday party, so making lunch just wasn't in the cards
  • Dinner:  Beef and cheddar sub from Firehouse Subs.
  • Oh, and a couple slices of pizza at my son's birthday party.

Exercise:
  • 5k run at the Cottonwood Classic 5k.  I kept my sling nice and tight, and my arm generally felt pretty good the whole time.
  • 15 minutes on a recumbent stationary bike at Lifetime Fitness.  I would have ridden longer, but ran into another cyclist on the way upstairs to the bikes, and chatted with him for a bit.  But I felt like it was still a pretty good leg workout.  I'll probably be spending most of my time on one of these bikes for the next few weeks.

Today's weigh-in: 185.0.  Damn, going the wrong way.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!