Friday, May 31, 2013

End of Month 5

So, five months down.  A little over a month until the Triple Bypass.  This has been the toughest month so far, mainly due to breaking my arm two weeks ago.  I think I was doing pretty well for losing weight this month, until I broke my arm.  That really screwed things up for me.  At this point, I still have some occasional sharp pain, usually when I twist it a little farther than it wants to go right now.  I keep hoping I'm ready to do some real training rides on my trainer in the garage, but I'm disappointed that I still can't put weight on the arm, and that I still can't shift gears.  I am finding some ways around it, mainly by riding the trainer without shifting, riding a spin bike, or running, but it's just not giving me the training I need right now.

Although my training has slowed, my arm feels a little bit better every day, so I can feel that it's just a matter of time before I'm back up to speed.  Once I'm on the bike again, I'm going to go hard.  I still have weight to lose to get to my goal weight for the Triple Bypass.  At this point, I'm not sure how I can get there, but I'll do my best.  Next week, I am going to start running at lunch, to take the place of my former lunchtime bike rides.  Once I am riding again, I'll be riding to and from work when possible, and running or riding during lunch.  And I'm going to need to be cranking out some big rides and climbs on the weekends.  I may also see if I can convince my wife to let me do a weeknight ride now and then.  The Lifetime folks do Tuesday and Thursday night rides, and a colleague is going to be leading some group rides up a popular local climb on Tuesday evenings.

Speaking of running, my daughter enjoyed the Cottonwood Classic 5K so much, she wanted to do another one.  So, tomorrow morning we are driving out to Louisville, Colorado to run the Taste of Louisville 5K.  Can't wait.  I'm so excited that she loves doing this!

On Sunday, we're going to be riding the family ride at Elephant Rock.  It's an easy 8 miles.  Fun for all of us.  Not exactly a challenge for me, but I love riding with the kids, so it should be cool.  I'd rather be riding the metric century with the rest of the group from work, but I'm just happy to be out there riding.  Stay tuned for my Sunday update to see how it went.  I am really hoping I don't crash and break my other arm.

Tomorrow evening, we're leaving the kids at Lifetime for a much-deserved Parents Night Out, where I will be celebrating my 10th wedding anniversary with my awesome wife Lisa.  She has put up with a lot of crap from me for 10 years now, and especially for nearly ruining summer for the last two years (my current broken arm, and last year with my gall bladder removal days before our vacation).  Oh, and tearing the cartilage in my knee a month before our daughter was born.  It really just goes on and on with me.  It's been a great ten years, and looking forward to many, many more.

I didn't post last night.  I'm not sure why.  I think I was just busy watching Arrested Development.

Food:
  • Breakfast:  Fruit / protein smoothie
  • Lunch:  Crap, again.  Another cheesesteak.  Man, I love those things.  I need to start running or riding at lunch, to give me something else to do, and I don't just sit around craving food.
  • Dinner:  A pretty delicious sausage link.   Aidell's Spicy Mango with Jalapeno chicken sausage.  Pretty happy I managed to hold myself to just one.  Typically I would have two.

Exercise:
  • 30 minute walk at lunch.  Did that make up for the cheesesteak?  I don't think so.

Today's weigh-in:  181.4





As you can see, my weight has gone up in the past two weeks, which is very disappointing, but understandable given my broken arm.  This has really thrown me for a loop, and I'm dealing with it as best I can.  Given that my arm is feeling better every day, and I think I have a plan to get in some more running starting next week, I should be able to get that under control soon.  If you look at the May chart, though, I've lost 5 pounds this month.  It's not a ton, but it's ok.  At least I didn't gain weight.

If I want to make myself feel better, I can just look at this chart, which is my weight loss since January 1.  This actually looks pretty impressive.

So, yay me, I guess.  I still have a lot of work to do, though.  Bring on June!  I'm ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!