Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Week 12 - Day 2 - Garmin info

I didn't get a chance to ride the bike tonight.  Probably for the best, since I was kind of tired.  I've had a bunch of tough workouts in a row, and yesterday's "recovery" day ended up being pretty difficult, too.  Instead, tonight was another Lifetime Fitness night.  I got some time on the elliptical and in the lap pool.

I've been posting links to my training rides on Strava every day.  I use a Garmin Edge 500 to record my rides, and upload my data to both Garmin Connect and to Strava.  I've been sharing my Strava data because it appeared to me that I could only share my Garmin data with other Garmin Connect users.  But while talking to a colleague today, I learned that I probably just had my privacy settings wrong.  I took a look at Garmin Connect after work, and it turns out he was right:  my profile was set to only share my data with my "connections" on Garmin Connect.  I have changed the settings so that my activities are viewable by everyone.

I like Strava for some things.  It has a pretty good "social" aspect to it, and is fantastic for comparing my ride times with other Strava users.  But it's not quite as complete as the raw Garmin data.  For example, Strava bases calorie expenditure on power calculations, which it estimates based on weight and speed, which itself is based on GPS calculations.  Since I typically ride indoors on a trainer, I am not using the GPS, which means Strava doesn't record my heart rate, even though my Garmin does.  Garmin Connect, however, displays all available data.  Garmin Connect also allows me to compare results from my different rides.  So, when I do the same Spinervals training workouts, I can compare the results from each time I ride to see how my results compare from week to week.

So, now that I've made my Garmin results public, you can check them out if you'd like.  My Garmin profile is HERE.  I have also added a link on the right side of this page.

Food:
  • Breakfast:  Fruit / protein smoothie
  • Lunch:  Protein bar while waiting for a meeting to start
  • Dinner:  Tossed salad with grilled chicken breast

Exercise:
  • 15 minutes on an elliptical at Lifetime Fitness
  • 8 laps in the lap pool at Lifetime Fitness

Today's weigh-in:  191.0


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!