Saturday, March 2, 2013

Week 9 - Day 5 - Another CardioPoint

So, I re-took my CardioPoint test at Lifetime today.  I was confused by my results from a couple weeks ago, and thought something may have been wrong with the test.  I decided to step up my cadence a bit, to help speed up the test.  Last time, I did the test while cycling at about 80 rpm.  Today, I bumped it up to 90 bpm.  I figured the results would be the same, regarding of how long it took to do the test.  Essentially, I was correct.  The test really measures my fat and carbohydrate usage at different intensity levels, regardless of how long it takes to get to those levels, and how long I maintain each level.

The long and short of it is, my results stayed basically the same.  I was hoping my results from last time were extremely skewed, but no.  Two tests with essentially the same results.  However, once the test was over, and I reviewed and discussed the results with my test administrator, she tweaked my zones a bit.  I'm still trying to determine exactly what she adjusted and why.  Hopefully, I can post some clarifications soon.

Below are some charts from my first test a couple weeks ago, and today's test, to compare the results.



Here again is just the basic information on my new heart rate zones.  The chart looks basically the same as my previous version, but with some different numbers.

And here is the more specific data about each zone.

This image shows my previous and current test results.

And finally, a chart showing my fat utilization throughout my zones, and the specific breakdown of how that breaks down by zone.

The confusing part is that both tests looked basically the same, until the test administrator started shifting the zones around a bit.  As I said, I am going to try to get a little more information on what she was doing.  One thing we discussed was why the heart zones didn't seem to comply with the typical description of the level of effort I should be feeling in each zone.  It was during this discussion that she moved my zones downward a bit.  Basically, she indicated that my body was "a fat-burning machine", and I was doing an excellent job of burning fats in all my zones, and never showed any kind of "metabolic efficiency point" (MEP), the point at which the body switches from using mostly fats for energy to using mostly carbohydrates for energy.  In Bob Seebohar's book "Metabolic Efficiency Training", he discussed a case study where an athlete does not have a MEP because he is burning mostly carbs in all zones even at lower intensities.  Nutrition and training can train the body to use fats more efficiently, and improve the MEP.  However, there was nothing mentioned about someone who is using fats very efficiently throughout the zones, and isn't getting to the point of using mostly carbs.  I was told this is a good problem to have, but this doesn't help me plan my training.  I am guessing that I am currently just incapable of working out hard enough to get to my MEP and have it show up in the test.  Basically, I hit a wall and have to stop the test before my body switches to using carbohydrates.  At least, I think that's what might be happening.  I am going to keep trying to get more information on this, and will post an update when I figure something out.

This test was basically the extent of my exercise today.  It was a beautiful day, and would have been great for a real ride outdoors.  Unfortunately, I couldn't do anything before my test, and my test beat me up pretty good, so I really didn't have the energy to work out afterwards.  And this evening was a "date night".  We took the kids to Lifetime, and my wife and I went out to dinner.  So no evening workout either. 

Tomorrow, we're taking the kids to their first ski lessons.  So no riding tomorrow, either.  However, while the kids are at their ski lessons, my wife and I are planning to do a little snowshoeing at the nearby nordic center, so I'll get some exercise there.

Food:
  • Breakfast:  Fruit / protein smoothie
  • Lunch:  Protein bar when I finished my metabolic testing
  • Dinner:  12 oz New York Strip, rice and grilled veggies at Rock Bottom Brewery.

Exercise:
  • Just my CardioPoint test at Lifetime Fitness.  I was probably on the bike about an hour, but the actual test took about 30 minutes.  Burned about 300 calories.

Today's weigh-in:  194.4



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!