Friday, April 19, 2013

My bikes

In case you're interested, here is what I'm riding these days:


Road:

2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0


I picked up my first road bike in February of 2012.  I had spent years with a variety of mountain bikes, but kept using them on the road.  I kept getting smaller and smaller tires to help me ride better on the road, but a few trips with some friends from work convinced me that I needed to change bikes, not just tires.

I started looking on Craigslist, and kept finding lots of good options.  But as tends to happen on Craigslist, things just didn't work out.  The bikes weren't exactly what I was looking for, or people wouldn't call back.  The usual Craigslist business.  I finally broke down and decided I should just buy a new bike.

I didn't have tons of money, and this was going to be my first road bike, so I didn't need anything super high-end.  I stopped by a local bike shop to test out a few different bikes.  After trying a Giant and something else, I ended up going with a Fuji Roubaix 1.0.  It's a nice ride, and a great bike for the price.  It must have been some kind of one-off at the place I bought it, since they weren't a Fuji dealer and this was the only one that had.  It has a Shimano 105 11-28 cassette, and a 50/34 compact crankset.  I first heard that term while I was test-riding these bikes:  "Compact crankset".  I had no idea what that meant, so the bike shop guy explained it to me.  I also found a really good explanation online HERE.  Basically, it's a combination of front chainrings and rear cassette that gives you the gearing range of triple chainrings, but in a double chainring instead.  The lowest gear is close to what you would get in a triple chainring, good for long steep climbs.  But the highest gear is closer to what you would get in with standard chainrings, for speeding on the flats.  It's a bit of a compromise, but not much, and is a great option for an everyday rider like me.

So, I've had the bike for a little over a year now, and it's been great.  It's comfortable for long days in the saddle, great for climbing, and cruises fast on the flats.  And it looks great, too, which is a bonus.



Mountain:
2006 Gary Fisher Tassajara


Well, technically it's a mountain bike.  But I can't think of the last time I rode it anywhere off-road.  A number of years ago, I had a mountain bike stolen out of my garage when we forgot to close the door one night.  I went looking for a new bike, and ended up with a Gary Fisher Tassajara.  This was probably about 10 years ago, so I don't know if they even make this bike any more.

It was kind of a mid-range bike when I got it.  Not totally cheapo, but certainly not high-end.  But it does the job.  I haven't modified it in any way since I bought it, except for switching out tires.  I don't ride much in the mountains, so I don't know much about what's good and what's not.  It works, it has front shocks but no rear shocks.  That's about it.

I would really love to do more mountain biking, but it just never seems to happen.  Instead, I typically put the smallest, smoothest tires I can find on it, and use it on the road or the local multi-use trails.  When I bought my fluid trainer a couple years ago, this is the bike that was on the trainer, with slicks.  Once I got my road bike, I used that bike on the trainer, and this bike just hung in the garage most of the time.

Lately, it occurred to me that I had two bikes, two helmets, two pairs of shoes, two pairs of gloves, etc.  I decided I could bring a whole set of everything to work and leave it parked there.  So, my mountain bike, helmet, gloves, water bottle, and some bike clothes live downstairs at my office, ready for a lunchtime ride at a moment's notice.  When there isn't some insane amount of snow outside like there has been for the last few days, I can usually head out for a quick 16-mile ride or so.  I would be able to ride farther and faster with my road bike, but I would rather leave that at home, for training and weekend rides.



Kiddos:





It's not a bike that I ride, but I also have a Trek Mountain Train that I use for hauling the kids around once in a while.  They love it, and it lets us ride farther than they can ride on their own bikes.  And it's a great workout for me.  I have the clamp set up on my mountain bike, so I've designated that as the "riding with the kids" bike.  So, I get the workout of riding the heavier mountain bike, instead of my road bike, plus the added weight of pulling the Mountain Train with a kid.  And they seem to be pretty happy being pulled, instead of doing much of the work themselves.  So, if I'm looking for a good leg workout while spending some time with the kids, I'll pull out the Mountain Train.  Unfortunately, I can only deal with one kid at a time, so sometimes we do alternating weekends or something.  I love spending time with both kids, but sometimes it's nice to have a little one-on-one, too.

So, those are my typical rides these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!