Monday, April 15, 2013

Week 15 - Day 6 - Windy ride!

Today was my first group ride with the Lifetime Fitness cycle club.  I've only done one group ride before, with a group from a local bike shop.  That was fine, but I didn't like it enough to continue riding with them.  But I decided to give group rides another shot with the Lifetime folks.  Because of where Lifetime is located, they have the opportunity to get in some good rides starting right at Lifetime.

Today's ride was supposed to head up towards Boulder, about a 58-mile round trip.  But overnight, the winds really picked up.  It was pretty crazy.  The group decided that the planned route was going to be too difficult with the high winds.  So, we opted for a shorter ride in a little different part of town.  The wind was seriously brutal, about 30 mph.  It made for a terrible headwind, and a ridiculous crosswind, depending on which direction we were going.  We headed west to Broomfield and Superior, around the Marshall Mesa area.  We also got in a climb of The Wall, a nice climb on the famous Morgul-Bismark route that was a part of the old Coors Classic and Red Zinger professional races back in the 70s and 80's, as well as a memorable part of the movie American Flyers:

That's Kevin Costner, not me.

So, overall it was a great weekend.  Two good rides:  One day with a serious climb, and one day with some good rollers and a battle against the wind.  And I was happy to finally get in a climb on The Wall.  I'm looking forward to riding it again and improving my time.

One downside of the weekend was the food.  I certainly skipped the healthy eating for a couple meals.  I need to manage that a little better if I want to keep losing weight.

Food:
  • Breakfast:  Fruit / protein smoothie
  • Lunch:  Spicy Italian from Subway, which tasted pretty good after my ride.
  • Dinner:  While I was out with friends for dinner last night, Lisa and the kids went to Smashburger.  When they got there, they were closing the place down due to a gas leak.  The staff was handing out vouchers for free burgers at a later date.  So, since we didn't get our usual weekend-dinner-out on Saturday, we decided to use the Smashburger coupons tonight.  I had a bbq bacon cheddar burger.  Man, I love Smashburger.

Exercise:
  • 40 mile ride in Broomfield and Superior.  As I said above, we were fighting the wind the entire time.  I was bundled up pretty good.  Basically the same as my ride yesterday.  I think it was actually a little warmer than yesterday, but the wind made it much, much worse.  Garmin info below:



Today's weigh-in:  190.2


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!